Hoppa, nog een lijk ...

Aanbevolen berichten

Lees dit maar:

http://www.todayscacher.com/outdoor3.html

Frightening Finds

What do you do when you find

something you weren't expecting.

Christopher Paul aka crzycrzy

I have seen and experienced a great many things in the wild, but none would adequately prepare me for what I would run into on March 24, 2004 on a geocaching return trip from Las Vegas.

I was heading south bound on the Interstate 15 Highway heading back to my home in Southern California when I noticed a Geocache very near to the freeway. Since it was close to the freeway, and on a gravel drive, I thought I would pull over and grab it and head back on my way quickly.

But what I was to discover was something far more gruesome than I would be prepared for. Pulling up to the barbwire fence, I realized that the GPS receiver was pointing me into the area fenced off by Nevada’s Bureau of Land Management.There in front of me, in the ditch, was the corpse...  Not wanting to cross the fence and possibly risk violating a law, I was about to leave when the GPS began acting up. It was pointing South West, and then South along the fence line.

I thought I might be getting bad reception, so I stepped out of the Jeep. What I saw next was frightening.

There in front of me, in the ditch, was the corpse of a man who had been dead for some time. I will spare the gory details; let’s just suffice to say that there was no hope of reviving him.

Instinct kicked in, and I pulled out my cell phone and immediately dialed 911. The dispatcher asked the usual questions, “Are you sure the person is dead?”...I could not tell them how to find me.  “Does it look like a homicide?” and then the clincher, “Where are you?”

Unfortunately, I wasn’t paying attention to the last town I passed through, so I didn’t know where I was. I didn’t look at the mile marker on the side of the road when I exited, and I could not tell them how to find me.

I offered to give the dispatcher the geodetic location, but she said it would not help. The Police department there does not have GPS units in their cruisers.

I remembered that my GPS has the ability to find nearby towns, and I looked up the nearest town. Noting that I was 7.75 miles south of the town I had just stopped in, I told the operator where to send a unit. I also told her that I would turn my Jeep around and engage the floodlights back toward the freeway to make it easier to pinpoint my location.

About 15 minutes later, the LVFD showed up. As the paramedics drove the ambulance towards the site, they began shouting at me. I finally realized that they were ordering me to show them my hands. (I was standing with my hands behind my back.) After holding my hands up, and apologizing for scaring them, they took a look and then kindly stayed with me while I waited for the police.

They asked how I had made the gruesome discovery, and I told them about geocaching. One of them was so interested that he had me send him an email so he could look into it later. After about half an hour the police showed up.

“Oh well. So much for getting home early today.”

After looking at the body for a few minutes, he called back and told the dispatcher that this was a likely homicide. Then he asked if I could wait until the homicide unit showed up to investigate.

“Oh well,” I thought. “So much for getting home early today.”

Several hours later, the detectives began arriving. They, of course, asked why I was there in the desert, off of the highway. Once again, I found myself explaining geocaching to the detectives.

They all were amazed that there were so many caches within a few miles, and many of them got the link to the website so they could look into it later. After explaining that the cache contains a logbook, the lead detective asked me to take him to the geocache I had been looking for.

We hopped the fence and began our trek into the nighttime desert to find the cache. I had already found it earlier while the paramedics were waiting with me for the police. Good thing too, since the cords were off on my GPS by about 30 feet, I might have been explaining DNF’s to the detective too.

After finding it, the detective had me explain what the names in the log meant, and how geocachers logged onto the website to report their finds. He then informed me that the cache would have to be photographed and impounded as evidence.

After a few hours, they took my statement and then allowed me to go. I had often heard about cachers finding dead bodies, but now I was one of them. What a day!

Important advice for geocachers who discover crime scenes:

Always carry water with you when caching. If you are involved in an investigation, and you will be if you report a crime, it is better to be prepared.

Keep a cell phone with you at all times. Not just for the safety factor, but also to let family members know what has happened. I got home a full 8 hours later than planned because of this.

If you find a crime scene, or even a suspected one, DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING! Do not even pee in the general vicinity of the scene. The investigators will comb the area, and you might be masking important evidence. It is best to wait in your vehicle, and do not go to the cache if you have not found it already.

Learn how some of the advanced functions work on your GPS. If your GPS has the capability, learn how to measure distances to nearby landmarks. Or learn how to create a waypoint from nearby locations you have been to recently. You may not be able to identify your location to the police using GPS coordinates.

Pay attention to what mile marker you are near when you exit the freeway. Always be aware of landmarks; what street were you last on, etc. You might need to know this info later. Be aware of where you are.

When the police or emergency crews arrive, keep your hands out in the open so that they can see that you are not a threat. Criminals sometimes seek to ambush police and paramedics by calling in pretend crimes and then shooting them.

Once the police or emergency crews are on the scene, ask them before you go into your vehicle for any reason (for the same reasons as number six).

The investigators may not know how to contact the website administrators where you got your coordinates, so you should make a point to know how to do this.

Any nearby cache will probably be confiscated by the authorities as evidence. Report this to the website admin, so it can be properly archived. As a courtesy, notify the cache owner.

NEVER go caching without letting someone know where you are going, what you are doing, and what time you expect to be back.

Christopher Paul is an outdoorsman, aviation wreck chaser, and avid geocacher from Southern California

Ik heb het echt niet gedaan hoor. :lol:

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

ReizenReizen

Lazyman is verdacht! :ph34r: Wat deed hij op 22 maart op de plaats van het delict? Wat is zijn alibi? Crzycrzy is toch wel iemand van de cijfers. Alvorens het vertellen van zijn story, toch de cache nog even loggen als gevonden. Hoe dan ook, vind het best een luguber verhaal en hoop het hier toch niet mee te maken.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Dat klopt,als dierenliefhebber leek ons dit beter. Lovehunter  :ph34r: ? Misschien dat we onze naam dan maar moeten heroverwegen  :P

Mij wordt nogal eens door simpele zielen verweten dat ik negatief ben ;)

Het was dus vooral positief bedoeld hahaha

Ik ben trouwens tegen alles wat met jacht te maken heeft en als een gemiddelde vleeseter wordt dat al weer als hypocriet door jagers bestempeld.

Ben nu wel aardig offtopic maar om terug te komen op je naam, die klinkt wel zuiver ;)

Wat voor naam had je nu dan in gedachten? ;)

GRTZ

Kruimeldief :yes: Als je alles zou begrijpen van wat ik zeg dan zou jij mij zijn!

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Maarrrre misschien is het wel helemaal geen moord?

De Geocacher die deze vondst deed had het al over een slecht bereik ter plaatse.

Ik denk dat het een zeeeer fanatieke Geocacher was die koste wat kost de cache wou vinden. Wat mij betreft mag hij/zij dan ook uitgeroepen worden tot Geocacher van de eeuw.

:ph34r:

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Maak een account aan of meld je aan om een opmerking te plaatsen

Je moet lid zijn om een opmerking achter te kunnen laten

Account aanmaken

Maak een account aan in onze gemeenschap. Het is makkelijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Aanmelden

Ben je al lid? Meld je hier aan.

Nu aanmelden
  • Onlangs hier   0 leden

• Er kijken geen geregistreerde gebruikers naar deze pagina.
  • Nieuwe aanmaken...